Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Where the Heck is Tajo?!

I had the great pleasure of meeting Tajo on multiple occasions. It must be said, our first encounter was a bit less than successful... Tajo's interest was always to keep his owner, Kristine, as close to him as possible, day and night. My interests were.... well, let's just say that they clashed a bit with Tajo's, especially during nighttime... But, gentlemanlike as Tajo was, he did at some point reluctantly give in and accept the fact that I was, like him, quite fond of Kristine... A mutual respect was born, and never lost.

I joined Kristine and Tajo on many long walks in the forest. The funny thing is however, during those walks you would never see much of Tajo. Most of the time he was gone, off somewhere, God knows where. We would walk side by side for up to 30 minutes, in the quiet of the forest, without Tajo anywhere in sight. Then suddenly you would hear faint galloping sounds in the distance, growing ever louder, coming ever closer. Then all of a sudden... "Whhhooosshhhh", Tajo would fly past at 60 miles an hour, with a 3 meter long branch clenched between his grinning teeth... I have to admit the first time my heart skipped a beat, but I got used to it eventually...

I remember once we walked home from one of our walks, this was in Stavern so in his later days. Tajo was carrying home such an ernomously large piece of wood in his mouth, that his head kept dropping down from the weight of it - Tajo would persevere though... Cars had to steer around him so not to get scratched by Tajo's branch - Tajo didn't care... The branch was his and he would bring it home. Tajo was big on property rights. Tajo always delivered. I have to admit, I've never been a great fan of pets, or of dogs for that matter. But Tajo changed my views completely. He is, and will always be, my favorite dog ever. May you live on in our spirits, Tajo, my dear canine friend. Adieu... Merlin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home